Monday, December 21, 2009

Book Review: The Tipping Point




The Tipping Point

Stars: 3/5

Gladwell offers some interesting observations and ideas. Note, I said observations and ideas and not in-depth analysis and theories. His anecdotal style makes the content seem lightweight, which allows for a quick and enjoyable read. This would appeal to the mainstream crowd and may be the reason why it was a best seller.

His three tipping points for epidemics are: the Law of the Few (which include Connectors, Mavens and Salesmen), the Stickiness Factor and the Power of Context. Nice labels, I admit, but in reality I did not glean anything substantial from this book. I do, however, think the Case Study chapters, chapters 5 and 6, towards the end of the book were worthwhile; it's a shame that I had to read four chapters to get to them.

I had planned on reading Gladwell's next installment, Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, but after reading the Tipping Point I'm in no hurry.


See all Book Reviews

No comments: